Friday, October 14, 2005

Update on Homeschooling

This is an update on what has been going on with Connections Academy and Nick and American School and Brittany.

First though, I wan't to thank the two who made comments on my homeschool blog and said that I am still homeschooling. You don't know what that means to me to hear that. I have removed myself from 3 different homeschool groups this last month due to all the remarks about Connections Academy. They feel that using Connections Academy is just a public school and that it is going to undo all their hard work they have done in the homeschooling field and the laws that they have fought for, that I finally just said enough is enough. I don't have alot of time to sit and read group mail let alone a bunch of negative comments on my choice for school. It might be a public school and they may call me a learning coach, but I am the one that is teaching him everything in the books.

The teacher, at Connections Academy, is wonderful and has been very helpful with ideas to help Nick to understand things. It is great to have backup when you run out of ideas. I love being able to just email or call her when I need. That is what I use to do with the groups I was in, but I wouldn't feel right in asking any of them after all the remarks that were made.

Anyway, Nick is thriving! I feel that I have made the best choice for him. He is doing great. He doesn't like reading that much because he isn't able to read bigger words ver well, but; you wouldn't believe the improvements he has made in just a little over a month.

My husband was hearing him reading to me last night and this morning he was so impressed at how much better he was reading. He said that he even thought Nick sounded excited about sending stuff to the teacher to look at.

He was very excited about it! He even wanted to send other things that weren't required to send in, just to show her what he has done. He got all of the stuff back yesterday that he sent in last Friday and was so excited to get his first piece of mail from her. He ripped open the envelope and was reading the little notes she wrote for him.

In her note she wrote that he has an A+ so far, and he knows that is a good thing. Also, she put a little coupon in his folder that says next month he can use the coupon to write one of his required assignments on and he wont have to send that assignment in. She said that he hopes he still sends her extra things to look at because she loves to see what he is doing. Nick was just beaming! He is so proud of himself.

Today is a day off and he deserves it. He has worked so hard and is doing so well. In fact last night, when I put him to bed, he said, "I think the teachers need to take a day off too, because I worked very hard this week." LOL I am so happy with my choice! More importantly, Nick is happy with school!

Brittany is doing well too! She has just started 11th grade and is almost done with all of her required courses. She is having a little trouble with Algebra 1, and unfortunately, I am not much help in that area. I was pretty good at it when it was Pre algebra and the beginning of Algebra 1 but, I explained that I can't just jump into the middle of a book. I need to start from the beginning to understand it. So, I have my work cut out for me for a while to help her. I told her that she can call her teacher and they will help her over the phone but she doesn't want to do that. I may have to make her, if I can't find enough time to read and understand it myself. I am also going to look online and see if I can come up with some good helpers for me and her.

She is doing well with all the other classes. She has World Literature left, which they are sending, and a couple of classes that she has here already for required courses. They are also sending her a Clothing class that is one of her electives. She is so happy that she is finally getting one of her electives.

She also chose Spanish 1 and 2, Drawing, Food study, and one other that I can't remember. This year is going to be fun stuff for her after she gets all of her required stuff done. She may even be graduating early. That would be great.

Well, that is what has been happening here. I hope you are all having as much fun as we are so far this year.
Post a Comment